Pizza Chef, Fairport: NY style pie

Pizza Chef on Urbanspoon
In June 2009, I posted a review of Pizza Chef in Fairport, based on one cheese slice that I got there at lunchtime. I liked their New York style pizza enough to give it a B+, but the crust was so brittle underneath that I couldn't give it an A.
As I said in that post, I had made a mental note to go back some time, and though it's taken a while, I finally got around to it. I picked up a cheese pie for dinner on a recent Friday afternoon.
The underside was a mostly unform brown, nearly charred in spots, and not greasy. The crust was very thin, with some interior chewiness. The perimeter of the pie was formed into a narrow lip, which was slightly toasty and crisp.
The crust was topped with a mild tomatoey sauce. I found it slightly sweet, with just a hint of herbs. The cheese was moderately applied, and both sauce and cheese were in good balance with the thin crust.
As a whole, this was a well balanced, integrated pizza. By that I mean that it was not a pizza where everything - the crust, sauce and cheese - seemed separate, either physically (such as a pizza where the cheese tends to separate from the crust) or on the palate. Everything was working together here.
Since my prior post described Pizza Chef in general, I won't repeat myself here. I'll just say that this was a very respectable New York style pie. I wouldn't put it quite on a par with the best New York pizza I've had around here - the crust didn't quite reach the heights of greatness for me- but it was certainly very good. I'll give it an A-.
The Pizza Chef, 7 East Ave., Fairport. Mon. - Sat. 11 am - 10 pm. Sun. 3-9 pm. 377-9690

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment